Mission & Vision
Environmental Advocates NY’s mission is to protect our climate, air, land, water, and the health of all New Yorkers. Based in Albany, we monitor all levels of state government, evaluate legislative proposals, champion policies and practices that will benefit our shared environment and fight against detrimental ones. We work to build political power and bring the voices of New Yorkers to Albany with a goal of making our state a national environmental leader.
A Record of Achievement for Our Environment
EANY is the leading environmental government watchdog in Albany, and your voice for the environment, conservation, wildlife, and public health in New York State. Since 1969, we have been at the center of every major environmental battle, including:
- Enhancing statewide protections of our environment & wildlife
- Combating climate change while developing green energy technologies
- Reducing waste & leveraging new financial support for conservation efforts
- Cleaning up polluted lands & getting those properties back on tax rolls
Every day in the state capital, decisions are made that have lasting consequences for the health of all New Yorkers. EANY is ever-vigilant, monitoring state government’s actions, advocating for the policies and practices that will protect our environment and defeating regressive measures that seek to roll back hard-won conservation victories.
Our efforts were instrumental in passing some of New York’s significant environmental laws, including:
- the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- the state’s bottle deposit law
- the nation’s first acid rain law
- the Environmental Protection Fund
- the Hudson River Estuary Management Act
- the Lead Poisoning Prevention Act
- the Clean Indoor Air Act
EANY works closely with a diverse coalition of advocates and organizations, and is a trusted source for sound policy analysis. We also partner with multi-state coalitions and participate in national initiatives that have an impact on New York.
We are the New York State affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation.