Environmental Advocates NY seeks candidates for our Director of Campaigns position. The Director of Campaigns is a full-time, exempt, management position that reports to the Deputy Director and oversees our community outreach and engagement efforts.
This position is responsible for setting goals and implementing projects that engage partner organizations, community-based organizations and individuals, and local governments in education and advocacy efforts. Using grassroots advocacy to effect policy change and to organize advocates for the purpose of holding state leaders accountable on environmental issues, this position will engage a sizable activist and partner network to advocate for environmental legislation and regulations, implementation and enforcement of state environmental laws and policies, including but not limited to implementation of the State’s climate law, electrification of transport and building sectors, development of water standards for emerging contaminants, and protection of source waters.
We are looking for a seasoned, committed, and creative individual with a background in community organizing and engagement to lead our efforts. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and grow the climate justice movement as well as build support for clean water and vibrant communities, with the goal of continuing to make New York a true environmental leader.
- Develop and implement strategies for engaging and cultivating current advocates, growing advocate base, and increasing advocates to participation in EANY campaigns;
- Develop and implement strategies to build a broader base of support and engage community groups and individuals in the organization’s policy advocacy;
- Develop and implement strategies to enhance relationships with local governments to advance our policy goals;
- Grow and steward relationships with partners (including grassroots, community, non-profit, and local government);
- Promote the organization and increase visibility by arranging events, identifying and staffing engagement opportunities, and hosting or participating in other partner sponsored events;
- Collaborate with policy and communications teams on the development of campaign plans, outreach materials for advocacy, digital content, planning and marketing events and creating other communications for advocates, local leaders and local press;
- Collaborate with membership and development team on donor support and fundraising materials, as needed;
- Provide supervision to the Campaigns Associate; and
- Participate and lead in organizational Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work.
- Three to five years of experience in community organizing for nonprofit organizations, or comparable experience;
- Passionate and motivated about environmental protection and justice and motivated to involve others in the cause;
- Commitment to and leadership experience in justice, equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work as part of a team;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to serve as a public representative of the organization;
- Experience/interest in digital organizing, developing digital assets, especially social media content;
- Experience planning and launching policy campaigns;
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers;
- Ability to travel as needed around the state.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is currently $60,000-$68,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, retirement savings including an employer contribution. Environmental Advocates is an inclusive, vibrant, fast-paced work environment and values work-life balance.
Hybrid Work Environment
We are currently working in a hybrid environment. Environmental Advocates NY is based in Albany, New York with a few staff members based in New York City. We will consider applicants from all parts of the state for this position, with a preference for Albany or New York City based applicants.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the job for you, please email your resume and cover letter to Kate Kurera, Deputy Director, at [email protected] Please reference “Director of Campaigns” in the subject line. Application deadline is August 5. No calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is a core value for Environmental Advocates NY. We invite applicants to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.