Environmental Advocates NY seeks candidates for our Clean Water Associate position. This position is integral to our clean water program, which advocates to protect New York’s waters from source to tap.
Environmental Advocates NY has served as the state’s government watchdog in Albany for more than 50 years. We are a nonprofit organization that fights for bold and just environmental policies to restore and protect New York State’s environment and encourage healthy and vibrant communities for all. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and be a part of the movement for environmental justice.
The Clean Water Associate is a full-time salaried exempt position that reports to the Director of Clean Water. The Associate will analyze and advocate for strong water policies and organize powerful coalitions to secure clean water for all New Yorkers and to eliminate environmental injustices committed against low-income communities and communities of color. This includes, but is not limited to: reviewing, crafting, and lobbying for new laws and regulations before the Legislative and Executive branches of federal, state and local governments; watchdogging the enforcement and implementation of current laws and regulations; coordinating closely with partner organizations and frontline communities to advance shared priorities; and educating and engaging our members and the general public.
We seek applicants with broad knowledge of environmental issues, experience in advocacy or lobbying and mobilizing and organizing at the grassroots level. Direct experience with water policy is a big plus.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s policy team to develop and execute strategies to achieve the organization’s policy goals and priorities;
- Work directly with the Director of Clean Water to lead and support advocacy campaigns, in particular our work to safeguard streams and wetlands, upgrade crumbling water infrastructure, and eliminate exposure to toxic chemicals like PFAS and lead;
- Analyze regulations, legislation, and state budget proposals related to water policy;
- Develop factsheets, reports, memos, and other publications on water policy;
- Serve as a lobbyist before the New York State Legislature and executive agencies, as well as a spokesperson before the general public and the media on water policy;
- Work directly with the Clean Water Director to develop and execute communications and media strategies as well as outreach to and engagement with diverse partner organizations across the state; and
- Work directly with the Clean Water Director to develop and shape a workplan and goals, as well as the strategic direction of the water program.
- At least two years of experience in advocacy, community organizing, policy analysis, and/or government relations;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy, political science, public policy, public administration, economics, or other applicable fields;
- Understanding of New York State government and the budget process;
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, multiple projects, and make decisions under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to travel, as needed;
- Excellent teamwork, verbal, and writing skills; and
- Strong interest in environmental policy, social and racial justice, and politics.
The requirements and qualifications listed are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and we encourage you to apply even if your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including relatable or volunteer work.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is currently $45-50,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, retirement savings including an employer contribution, and an inclusive, vibrant, fast-paced work environment.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected] Please reference “Clean Water Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No calls please.
We are currently working in a remote environment. The Clean Water Associate will be expected to be based in Albany when our physical office reopens.
Environmental Advocates values work-life balance. In addition, our organization strives to increase justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in all elements of our work. Applicants are invited to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply.