Environmental Advocates NY seeks applicants for a Campaigns Associate position.
Location: New York City or Albany, NY, preferred; New York State required
About Environmental Advocates NY
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates NY is the leading New York non-profit 501(c)(3) organization fighting for a safe climate, clean water, and healthier communities for all. We have devoted more than 50 years of service to the people of New York and have been on the frontlines of every major environmental victory the state has enjoyed in the past half century.
Environmental Advocates NY is grounded in and guided by the following foundational values:
- Expertise—We are committed to science, rigorous research and analysis.
- Collaboration—We are grounded in intersectionality. We work to build and strengthen our relationships and partnerships, in particular with impacted communities. We build strategies, movements, and political power by embracing diverse perspectives and engaging leaders on the front lines.
- Justice—We advocate and prioritize environmental justice, fairness, and equity in our work. We are committed to the fair and equitable distribution of resources and environmental benefits.
- Diversity – We will prioritize and increase diversity throughout all levels of our organization and policy work, recognizing that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our decision-making and advocacy, and foster a positive workplace culture.
- Results —We are determined to protect the environment and public health of all New Yorkers. We do not stop until change is made.
- Leadership—We elevate key issues and use our influence to build political will and people power. We speak truth to power.
The Campaigns Associate is integral to Environmental Advocates’ engagement work, and the right candidate will work on a range of issues across our policy areas to activate our advocates and help build coalitions across the state. This position will support our policy campaigns to enhance existing relationships and inspire partnerships with a variety of organizations and individuals to foster and grow continued education and advocacy efforts. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and grow the climate movement, including clean transportation, and build support for clean water for all, and vibrant communities, with the goal of making New York a true environmental leader.
The Campaigns Associate is a full-time, non-exempt position (37.5 hours per week) who reports to the Director of Campaigns. The Associate works with our policy and communications teams to use grassroots advocacy to effect policy change and to organize advocates for the purpose of holding state leaders accountable on environmental issues. This includes but is not limited to advocating for the legislature to pass environmental legislation and executive agencies to implement and enforce state environmental laws and policies through a range of advocacy tools. The Campaigns Associate assists in identifying and implementing strategies to enhance our relationships with local elected officials, activists and partners and utilizes these relationships to advance our policy goals. They also help develop and implement strategies to build a broader base of support and engage community groups and individuals in the organization’s policy advocacy.
Successful applicants will have a broad knowledge of environmental issues, community organizing experience in direct advocacy or grassroots lobbying, exceptional communication skills, and have worked on issue-based campaigns.
Areas of Responsibility
- Drafts action alerts and other communications that seek to engage the advocate base to take grassroot actions;
- Assists Director of Campaigns with planning and hosting events to engage our statewide advocates;
- Works with colleague organizations, advocates, the general public, and local legislators to advance our positions; and works to identify prospective new partners;
- Supports Director of Campaigns in campaign planning for the three policy team areas: Clean Water, a Safe Climate, and Healthy Communities;
- Supports Director of Campaigns in outreach to current activists (both on- and off-line), increasing visibility and strategizing on engagement opportunities; and
- Works with communications and policy staff on the development of outreach materials for advocacy, digital content, planning and marketing events and creating other communications for activists, local leaders and the press.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, and/or Environmental Studies preferred, though not required.
- At least two years of experience in advocacy or community organizing for a nonprofit or labor organization, or comparable experience;
- Passion for environmental protection and social justice and motivated to involve others in the cause;
- Understanding of environmental justice, especially within New York State, and experience collaborating with low-income communities and communities of color;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work as part of a distributed team;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and interest in serving as a public representative of the organization;
- Experience implementing activist campaigns or community engagement;
- Experience managing volunteers and organizing events; and
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
Salary starts at $45,000, commensurate with experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, and retirement savings that include an employer contribution.
Environmental Advocates values work-life balance. In addition, our organization strives to increase justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in all elements of our work. Applicants are invited to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and list of three references to Joshua Cohen, Director of Campaigns, at [email protected] Please reference “Campaigns Associate” in the subject line. Only email submissions will be accepted. Please do not mail application materials or call.
Environmental Advocates NY works for policy change at the local and state levels to support cleaner and healthier communities for all New Yorkers. We are an equal opportunity employer, and our organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
Women, people of color and LGBTQ+ people are always strongly encouraged to apply.