Environmental Advocates of New York is the leading environmental government watchdog in Albany and a powerful voice for conservation, the environment and public health in the state. Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with a staff of 12. It was founded nearly 50 years ago and its annual operating budget is approximately $1,400,000. Environmental Advocates’ office is in Albany, but the vast majority of major donors and board members live in the New York City area.
We are at a critically important time for the environmental movement. Progress requires leadership from the states and Environmental Advocates is well positioned to secure such leadership in New York. Our recently completed strategic plan envisions that by mid-21st century, New York State is an international green leader due to its clean and healthy waters, 100% renewable energy powered economy, and vibrant and safe communities. To secure this vision we will work with communities all across the state to educate and engage the public. We aim to ensure that New York law and policy fully safeguards our environment and public health, leading to a cleaner and greener New York. To accomplish this, we need to expand our staff, our programmatic reach, and our presence in the political arena, and for that we need to increase revenues. There is strong public support for our vision of New York and broad untapped willingness to help finance our efforts to achieve it.
We are seeking a Director of Development who will lead and be responsible for our revenue generation efforts. The Director of Development is a newly created position to ensure Environmental Advocates has a senior manager focused on securing the additional revenues we need to expand and achieve our bold new vision. The Director will manage and grow the current two-person development team.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Executive Director. The Director of Development is a senior staff member, making important managerial, strategic development and budgetary decisions for the organization. The Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s fundraising plan, supervising the development team and will have direct responsibility securing foundation contributions. The Director of Development works in partnership with the Executive Director to secure annual revenue goals.
This position will be based in the New York City Area. Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and is in the range of $130,000 to $150,000 annually.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to establish and achieve the annual revenue goals and develop a detailed plan for the year
- Directly solicit contributions from foundations
- Manage all aspects of Environmental Advocates fundraising efforts including the work of the director of individual giving and the development associate
- Work closely with the Board of Directors’ Development Committee to keep the board well engaged in achieving our revenue goals
- Coordinate with appropriate staff, serve as a senior spokesperson and help identify opportunities for expanding the organization’s political presence, and outreach to board members and major donors
- Demonstrated fundraising track record and implementing inclusive practices, and ability to work effectively in the non-for-profit environment
- Excellent verbal skills and an ability to communicate the organization’s mission to current and prospective supporters
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Adept at setting goals, identifying intermediate objectives, and finding the resources necessary to achieve those goals and objectives
- Ability to inspire foundations and individual philanthropists to support organizations that are making a difference
- Bachelor’s degree with 8 years of experience in philanthropy and/or fundraising
How to Apply
Environmental Advocates of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your resume or CV, cover letter and a list of at least three references to Peter M. Iwanowicz, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line “Director of Development.”
Only email submissions will be accepted. Please do not mail application materials or call.
Environmental Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.