Environmental Advocates of New York seeks applicants for the newly created position of Director of Campaigns.
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates is the primary environmental government watchdog in Albany and a leading voice for conservation, the environment and public health in New York State. Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with a staff of 12.
The Director of Campaigns is a full-time, exempt, senior level management position that reports to the Executive Director and oversees our community outreach and citizen engagement efforts. The Director of Campaigns is responsible for setting goals and implementing programs that will enhance existing relationships and inspire community based organizations and individuals to join our education and advocacy efforts. Environmental Advocates works for policy change at the local, state and federal levels to secure a cleaner and more healthful New York.
Environmental Advocates currently has an activist network of 50,000 people, with a reinvigorated strategy for growth needed for these times. We are looking for a seasoned, committed and creative individual with a background in citizen organizing and engagement to lead our efforts as we grow our policy advocacy effectiveness. If you are ready to take your advocacy to the next level with an organization that is shaping environmental policy in a critically important state, then we want to hear from you.
- Provide direct supervision to campaign and outreach staff.
- Develop, coordinate and implement strategies for conducting outreach to current activists (both on- and off-line) and for expanding Environmental Advocates’ advocacy presence in communities across the state.
- Promote the organization and increase visibility by arranging events, identifying and staffing citizen engagement opportunities, and hosting or participating in other partner sponsored events.
- Work with communications staff and policy staff on the development of outreach materials for advocacy, digital content, planning and marketing events and creating other communications for activists, local leaders and local press;
- Identify and implement strategies, resources and events to enhance our relationships with local elected officials, our activists and partners and to use those relationships to advance our policy goals;
- Develop and implement a strategy to build a broader base of support and engage community groups and individuals in the organization’s policy advocacy.
- Staff relevant board committees, attend and participate in periodic board meetings.
- Three to five years’ experience in community organizing for nonprofit organizations, or comparable experience;
- High energy individual who is passionate about environmental protection and motivated to involve others in the cause;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work as part of a team;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to serve as a public representative of the organization;
- Experience planning and launching policy campaigns;
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers.
- Experience working for nonprofits, preferably policy-focused or advocacy organizations.
- Licensed driver with the ability to travel.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, but it is expected to be at senior level for Albany-based non-profit. We also offer excellent health benefits, retirement savings including an employer contribution, and a vibrant, fast-paced work environment.
How to Apply
Please email your resume or CV, cover letter, list of references, and a writing sample to: email@example.com Only email submissions will be accepted. Please do not mail application materials. No phone calls please.