Environmental Advocates of New York's mission is to protect our air, land, water, and wildlife and the health of all New Yorkers. Based in Albany, we monitor state government, evaluate proposed laws, and champion policies and practices that will ensure the responsible stewardship of our shared environment. We work to support and strengthen the efforts of New York's environmental community and to make our state a national leader.
A Record of Achievement for Our Environment
Environmental Advocates is the leading environmental government watchdog in Albany, and your voice for the environment, conservation, wildlife, and public health in New York State. Since 1969, we have been at the center of every major environmental battle, including:
- Enhancing statewide protections of our environment & wildlife
- Combating climate change while developing green energy technologies
- Reducing waste & leveraging new financial support for conservation efforts
- Cleaning up polluted lands & getting those properties back on tax rolls
Every day in the state capital, decisions are made that have lasting consequences for the health of all New Yorkers. Environmental Advocates is ever-vigilant, monitoring state government’s actions, advocating for the policies and practices that will protect our environment and defeating regressive measures that seek to roll back hard-won conservation victories.
Our efforts were instrumental in passing some of New York’s significant environmental laws, including:
- the state's bottle deposit law
- the nation's first acid rain law
- the Environmental Protection Fund
- the Hudson River Estuary Management Act
- the Lead Poisoning Prevention Act
- the Clean Indoor Air Act
Environmental Advocates works closely with a diverse coalition of advocates and organizations, and is a trusted source for sound policy analysis. We also partner with multi-state coalitions and participate in national initiatives that have an impact on New York.
We are the New York State affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation.